Saturday, February 18, 2006

Lost Souls

I.

The crisp morning air stung deep in her lungs as she hurried along to catch the last vanishing glimpse of sunrise.

"Aaaah.... I made it...." clutching her wrap, she pulls it tighter, every morning a little chillier then the last. The thin fabric of her night clothes do little to block out the cold, yet she pays no attention. This is his time, her time to be with him. Standing alone, she surveys the land around her, thinking of only him. Missing him. Wanting him.

II.

"I really think you should come into town and have dinner with us tonight," a woman's voice on the other end of the phone pauses, briefly, "we would love to have you over. Especially today."

"Why is that?" slightly irritated, she knows exactly why the invitation was put forth. "Because today is the 1st anniversary of his death? I'm a grown woman, you don't have to worry, I would prefer to stay in this evening." Her voice expertly masking the emotions dwelling within, silent tears slip down her cheeks, the voice on the other end never suspects a thing.

"Ok, honey, but if you change your mind, don't hesitate to stop in, ok?"

"I'll keep that in mind. Hey, you have a good day, I'll talk to you later," hanging up the phone, she heads toward the kitchen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counters
Little Giant Ladder Systems